Win Tickets to A Handful of Keys – 20th Anniversary Tour
Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre: 2 – 27 April 2014
One of the most successful shows in the history of South African showbiz: A Handful of Keys with Ian von Memerty and Roelof Colyn, returns to Durban for a run at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre on UKZN campus to celebrate 20 remarkable years over the Easter holidays from 2 – 27 April.
Simply tell us below why you are excited about Handful of Keys?
Ian von Memerty and Roelof Colyn have often paired up together in A Handful of Keys. Von Memerty is probably best known for being a judge on SA’s Got Talent. When not in Handful, Colyn is a band leader/ accompanist/ arranger/ composer/ musical director/ conductor in and for a myriad shows.
Featuring a firecracker script and two grand pianos played with unparalleled virtuosity, A Handful of Keys entertains with music and songs from Elton John, Richard Clayderman, Nora Jones, Alicia Keys, Billy Joel, The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Liberace through to Bach, Debussy, Chopin and many more! All the old favourites are still there – The History of the Broadway Musical (100 years in 16 minutes), the great SA Medley, and the Rock ‘n Roll finale. With new jokes and new costumes (they wore the old ones out!) A Handful of Keys is a sparkling as ever!
The journey of A Handful of Keys is remarkable: it has played to more than 400 000 people on five continents, in 1250 shows, with five different cast combinations, and has garnered nine national awards after seasons across South Africa and beyond.
This hilarious two-man piano show conceived and starring Ian von Memerty and Bryan Schimmel, began in 1994. In 2001 – it entered its second incarnation – again starring Ian von Memerty, but this time alongside Roelof Colyn, who enjoyed a massive success in the show. The show toured nationally, and to London and Australia (twice). Again the audiences and critics were ecstatic, and the audiences poured in, in ever increasing numbers. Another three years, another 300 performances and the show was seen by another 100 000 people.
And then in 2005 – the show took on its third shining shape. Starring, once again, Roelof Colyn and introducing Capetonian – Jeremy Quickfall – and touring to another 50 000 people and racked up its 750th performance.
In 2008 – 21 year old Jonathan Roxmouth paired up with Roelof Colyn and created a magical partnership that reignited the show. Love letters from the press, and great box office were an accurate reflection of the level of synergy, musicality and sheer entertainment that these two achieved. The 2009 -2011 season was a pure triumph. All five cast members who have done the show in its 18 year history joined together on stage for what was an extraordinary night of theatre fire and magic. During 2011 – 2013 there were short tours around the county and trips to Dubai (twice), HIFA, London and New York.
Booking for A Handful of Keys is through Computicket. For sold houses and block bookings contact Ailsa Windsor on 083 250 2690. Shows are Tuesday to Saturday at 8pm, Saturday and Sunday at 3pm.
A Handful of Keys Durban Performance Schedule
Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre, Durban – KwaZulu-Natal
Wed 02 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Thu 03 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Fri 04 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sat 05 Apr 14 3:00 PM
Sat 05 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sun 06 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Wed 09 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Thu 10 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Fri 11 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sat 12 Apr 14 3:00 PM
Sat 12 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sun 13 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Wed 16 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Thu 17 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sat 19 Apr 14 3:00 PM
Sat 19 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sun 20 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Wed 23 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Thu 24 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Fri 25 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sat 26 Apr 14 3:00 PM
Sat 26 Apr 14 8:00 PM
Sun 27 Apr 14 8:00 PM
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
- Comment below to stand a chance of winning one of 5 double tickets.
- Competition opens on 13 March 2014 and closes at midday on 31 March 2014, South African Standard Time.
- Winners will be randomly drawn on the on 31 March 2014. Durbanite reserves the right to change the draw date.
- Winners will be notified via email within 12 hours of the draw taking place.
- Winners will be required to confirm receipt of email within 12 hours of notification in order to claim tickets.
- Winners who do not confirm receipt of email within 12 hours of notification will forfeit their tickets and a redraw will take place.
- Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite’s determination of the winners is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferable for cash. If you are the winner, a copy of your South African identity document or passport may be required as proof that you are in fact the winner whose name was drawn.
- Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
- Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.