DECOREX SA: Bringing Warmth This Fesive Season
Outdoor fun, refreshing swims and a crisp breeze cutting across the summer sunshine encapsulate the real Christmas experience for many South Africans.
Leaders in the décor, design and lifestyle industry, Decorex SA has compiled a number of tasteful ornamental and decorating ideas that can easily be incorporated into every home, making this Christmas your #livingdream.
Creative with colour: Entwined with the Decorex SA 2017 theme of ‘Make your space your living dream’, contemporary Christmas trends are moving away from the garish reds and greens to a more neutral, earthy colour palette that creates a serene, soothing environment. Bring in copper and gold to maintain that metallic Christmas feel while white, rose, blush hues will create a gentle contrast that warms the home.
Keep it natural: The fake trees and sensory assaulting tinsel, lights and ornaments are being replaced by more natural, textured decorations that are both environmentally-friendly and functional. Blush, rose and soft green-coloured succulents make for elegant décor and ornamental creations while coastal Christmases will see the incorporation of driftwood as well as white and rose seashells.
Do It Yourself: The trend this year is to rather keep it simple with a focus on environmental sustainability. This is achieved by crafting ornaments and creating decorations that can be reused throughout the household or given as gifts to festive season guests.
Some interesting ideas for décor and design this Christmas:
For those celebrating along the coast this festive season, take a stroll along the shore to discover some oceanic gems. Seashells, dried starfish, driftwood and even sand can be fashioned in various creative ways for effective holiday decorations.
– Spray paint any sea shells and apply a thin wire adorned with small beads to create tree or table ornaments.
– Simple, transparent glass balls come in a variety of shapes, styles and sizes and can easily be transformed into beachy decorations. Remove the top fixture, fill half the bauble with sand and small shells for a tasteful finish.
– Varying lengths of dried driftwood can be cleverly arranged to form a wall-mounted tree. Fasten the wood to the wall in ascending length echoing the traditional Christmas tree shape. The ‘shelves’ can then be ornamented with various Christmas-related decorations and replaced with regular household items for use after the festive season.
– The over-used crimson Christmas candles can be replaced with white or blush candles housed in glassware, gently filled with soft sand for an elegant table illumination.
– To create an unassuming, refined summer wreath, fashion dried driftwood or sea grass into a wreath. This can be further enhanced with the addition of some shells.
For those celebrating this spirited season inland, there are a variety of décor options that lean towards the natural creating a serene, comfortable glow within every home.
– Inviting guests into your home can be an eye-catching wreath created using a selection of rose and green succulents. Alternatively, sage inserted into Styrofoam with a ribbon to hang hints at the seasoned Christmas mistletoe while remaining refreshingly original.
– Metallic baubles don’t just have to be on a tree. Re-purpose these ornaments by placing them in a bowl to make a fantastic centerpiece.
– For table decorations, leaves and soft coloured flowers can be beautifully wrapped conically in brown paper fastened with twine. These can be placed in a glass container on the table and taken home as gifts following the feast.
– Bypass the rolls of wrapping paper cluttering the shopping aisles this year and rather opt for a more environmentally, user-friendly alternative. Tea towels stylishly held together with twine is both an attractive covering and useful gift.
For year-round décor, design and lifestyle inspiration and trends, make sure to get to Decorex SA – Co-sponsored by Plascon and Caesarstone – happening in Durban, Cape Town and Joburg.
Decorex SA details:
Durbz: 18 – 21 March 2017
Time: 18-20 March: 10am – 8pm | 21 March: 10am – 6pm
Ticket prices: Adults: R85, Pensioners: R 75, Children under 12: R20
Venue: Durban Exhibition Centre
Cape Town: 27 – 30 April 2017
Time: 10am – 6pm daily
Ticket prices: Adults: R95, Pensioners: R85, Children under 12: R20
Venue: Cape Town International Conference Centre
Jozi: 9 – 13 August 2017
Time: 10am – 6pm daily
Ticket prices: Adults: R120, Pensioners: R100, Children under 12: R20
Venue: Gallagher Convention Centre
For more information:
Facebook: Decorex SA
LinkedIn: Decorex SA
Pinterest: Decorex SA