NOW OPEN: Africa’s First Chocolate Garden
A Chocolate Garden is a garden inspired by chocolate including chocolate coloured plants, chocolate scented flowers, chocolate mint, chocolate sunflowers and vines. You will find these and more at Africa’s first Chocolate Inspired Garden at the de Charmoy Estate in KwaZulu-Natal.
Planted in early August 2017, all the plants selected were chosen with great consideration given to non-invasive plants, balancing water needs, chocolatiness of course and the climate in KZN. Lauren (de Charmoy) Machanick (founder and owner) enlisted the help of Garden Design expert and Principal of the School of Garden Design (Lindsay Gray) to bring her vision and dream to life.
Did you know that many plants have chocolate versions?
Chocolate coloured Orchids, Anthiriums and Arum Lillies, Roses and chocolate succulents were specically selected for their chocolate inuence from chocolate leaves, owers or centers with pops of beautiful purples and apricots in between to bring the garden to life.
There are even pelargoniums that smell like Turkish Delights and the most magnificent tree with chocolate coloured leaves (Chrysophyllum oliviforme) which we have renamed our Chocolate Tree.
* The Chocolate Garden will encompass a coffee garden (restaurant). The menu will include chocolate versions of tomatoes, peppers, lettuces, herbs and the like, with a focus on freshness combining chocolate and botanicals.
* A child-friendly venue with animals and an awesome shaded play area where kiddies can enjoy some climbing swinging, sliding, and sand play. We have a funky wendy house that we will be stocking with cool, sensory and interesting toys. Children can play safely to their heart’s content!
* Our animals, include our 3 giant tortoises, Esio, Cocoa and Shelly as well as ducks, geese, guinea pigs and rabbits.
* A library of books for adults and kids, colouring books and adult colouring books too!
* A Fairy Garden to engage the kids’ imaginations!
* We also proudly offer two private feeding/bonding rooms for mums and their little ones. These rooms will be fully kitted including a microwave.
* Nearby parking, with a permanent car guard on duty.
The Chocolate Garden
All found on the picturesque de Charmoy Estate in Kwazulu Natal, also home to wedding and conference venues, a 4-star B&B and spa. de Charmoy Estate is perfectly positioned to cater to both travellers and locals as we are situated only a ve minute drive from Durban’s King Shaka International Airport and fteen minute drive inland (west) from Gateway.
Tues – Sun: 06:30 – 16:00
1 Robert Armstrong Road, Canelands, Durban,
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.