TOPS at SPAR BIERFEST is back! And this year it is bringing loyal Bierfestarians more of everything that they have come to know, and love, about South Africa’s biggest, annual, national, Oktoberfest festival of fun, food, frauelins and of course – three specially brewed Bavarian beers! Bierfest will be taking place in Durban at Suncoast from the 19th – 21st of September.
The TOPS at SPAR Bierfest, in association with Dryver, Good Fellas, Jiguja, Jagermeister and Tsogo Sun brings together the time-honoured arts of dining, drinking and dancing, all within the traditional setting of a giant Brauhaus marquee, bringing South Africans a taste of historical Munich Oktoberfest, right here on home soil.
From the moment one enters the Brauhaus, the senses are assailed by a rich mixture of traditional Bavarian oompah music (played live by a seven-piece band throughout the day), beautifully coloured décor, the aroma of Bavarian cuisine and of course – our freshly brewed Biers – made but once a year for the occassion. Founding partner South African Breweries have once more called upon their Master Brewers to craft three special, limited edition Bavarian-styled biers just for Bierfest. The ever-popular Royal Bavaria Oktoberfest Bier, the traditional Krystal Weiss Protea Edelweiss and the speciality dark ale – the King Ludwig Munich Dunkel will all be making their appearance at Bierfest once again. Master Brewers will be located onsite for tasting and beer education at Bierfest’s Braumeister Ecke – a.k.a Brewmasters’ Corner.
Frauleins in traditional attire will once again greet you with smiles as you are escorted to your pre-booked table and thereafter ensuring that your Bierfest experience is nothing short of magical.
More than just a beer festival, Bierfest places great care and consideration in its meal choices for hungry Bierfestarians! Once again, the Bierfest menu caters to all tastes, from the succulent eisbeins to healthy vegetarian options and delectable platters (available only on a pre-book basis). Pre-Order your Bierfest food platter online and your Fraulein will deliver it directly to your table!
As in previous years, Bierfest is a cash-free event. All food and drink purchases at the festival are made using Bierfest “Crowns.” Crowns are available in denominations of R25 and are sold in packs of five (non-refundable).
From the moment you are seated until the moment your tired legs take you to one of the numerous awaiting taxi, shuttle and chauffeur service options available, Bierfest is the one event you will attend this year that will have you longing to be back next year too! Value for money, and every moment an entertainment extravaganza, Bierfest will rock you!
Says Mark Robinson, TOPS at SPAR Group Liquor Manager and headline sponsor, “TOPS at SPAR is immensely proud to once again be headline sponsor at the TOPS at SPAR Bierfest. This festival is synonymous to the values of TOPS at SPAR and visitors can expect to be captivated by the experience from the minute they walk in the venue. TOPS at SPAR are heavily invested in the education of responsible drinking and will be promoting this at the festival.”
ARA #DrinkSmart Program presented by Redline, Bierfest’s responsible consumption program, offers visitors a number of alternative transport options. Spearheaded by TOPS at SPAR’s groundbreaking mobile phone app DRYVER, with support from Good Fella’s, Uber, Redline Breathalysers and JIGUJA detox drink, #DrinkSmart provides Bierfest patrons with a range of safe and affordable choices to drink responsibly and get home safely. Rehydration stations and a Designated Driver Rewards Program, Good Fellas memberships and preferred rates with Mozzie Cabs and UBER has seen Bierfest’s #DrinkSmart initiative be officially endorsed by the Industry Association for Responsible Alcohol Use (the ARA). Visit www.bierfest.co.za/noregrets for more info.
Bierfest offers revellers four different ticket options, specially designed to suit everybody’s budget and requirements:
• Ze Braumeister! R906.30 per person. Includes: premium traditional Bavarian Meal, Dedicated Fraulein to your table, Complimentary Premium bar (Limited), Complimentary can of JIGUJA Detox Drink, VIP reserved seating, Premium costume accessories, ze complimentary 1L Bierfest stein (1 per person), Parking, Glamcam Photo.
• Ze Brauhaus! Only R450.30 per person. Includes: Traditional Bavarian Meal, Complimentary Bar (Limited), Complimentary can of JIGUJA Detox Drink, Costume accessories, Glamcam Photo.
• Über Bier Hall Ticket: Only R195 per person includes 1 x 500ml bier, a can of Jiguja, a dress-up item and more.
• Standard Bier Hall Ticket: only R125 per person includes entrance to the event, along with a complimentary bier tasting.
All tickets can be booked through the Bierfest website www.bierfest.co.za or through Bierfest’s Facebook page; SABierfest.
The event is not open to anyone under the age of 18.
For more details and bookings, go to www.bierfest.co.za.
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
- Tag your friends on Facebook to stand a chance of winning a VIP table for you and 5 friends.
- Competition opens on 26 August 2014 and closes at midday on 12 September 2014, South African Standard Time.
- Winner/s will be randomly drawn on 12 September 2014. Durbanite reserves the right to change the draw date.
- Winner/s will be notified via facebook and are required to confirm receipt within 24 hour of notification or redraw will take place.
- By agreeing to the Terms and Conditions you agree to receive emails from Durbanite and its partners.
- Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite’s determination of the winners is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferable for cash. If you are the winner, a copy of your South African identity document or passport may be required as proof that you are in fact the winner whose name was drawn.
- Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
- Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.
WIN: Sundowners at Chambers Club and the KZNPO Symphony Season Concert
As a stylish leap year treat, Urban Lime and the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra are offering an elegant Thursday evening out for one lucky couple: after-work sundowner cocktails and snacks at Chambers Club and two tickets to the final KZNPO Symphony Season concert in Durban City Hall, on Thursday 5 March at 7.30pm.
To enter – answer the below TWO questions in the comment section of our Facebook post:
- Who’s giant 600sqm. portrait hangs alongside the Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank building) in Anton Lembede St?
- Where are the KZNPO Summer Season Symphony concerts being performed?
Std. T&C’s apply
Chambers Club, South Africa’s newest members’ club, is housed in Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank head office). It is a members’ club for South Africa and Africa’s business and professional community located in the iconic Professional Quarter in the heart of the city, which is open to the public on evenings and weekends.
The beautiful building was designed by famed architect Norman Eaton in central Durban which has been transformed into a professional quarter for the legal fraternity, business community, entrepreneurs and creatives as part of an extensive city-wide project by the visionary team from Urban Lime.
One of the special features of the Chambers Club is a beautiful rooftop garden which overlooks the city – with commissioned sculptures, a water feature, quinine trees, indigenous grasses and aloes. This carefully created space is an eventual realisation of what Norman Eaton originally wished for – a tranquil roof top garden which is ideal for an after-work alfresco sundowner to meet colleagues and friends before heading home.
The Club offers facilities geared for legal practioners and businesspeople: meeting rooms, interview rooms, board rooms, restaurant, bar, lounge, parking facilities and cloakroom. It is perfect for professionals and those looking for an elegant, safe quiet place to meet, work and dine in the middle of town.
The KZN Philharmonic perform two Beethoven favourites, the Leonore Overture No 1 and the Triple Concerto, played by pianist, Malcolm Nay, violinist Tai Murray and KZNPO’s very own cellist Aristide du Plessis. The evening closes with a performance of Bizet’s delightful Symphony in C – all under the baton of Netherlands born conductor Arjan Tien who makes a popular return to round off the season on 5 March.
- KZNPO tickets are available through Computicket. Call 0861 915 8000 or book online at www.computicket.com. For more information visit http://kznphil.org.za/, email email@example.com or call 031-369 9438 (office hours).
- For more information about becoming a member of Chambers Club, visit ChambersClub.co.za / ph 031 015 5555 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Summerdaze NYE 2019
The countdown to 2020 has begun and if you, like many Durbanites are finding it difficult to set some epic NYE plans into motion, we thought we would give you a hand.
Get your feet in the sand at Summerdaze NYE Beach Party, which will be held at Beachwood (a 5 min drive from Umhlanga). This years dress theme is to be a “Floral” affair, the event will kick off 2pm onwards and will feature top artists and DJ’s at an intimate paradise ocean side setting. Food & drinks will be on sale under the tented beach bar while guests enjoy good vibes, sensational music and fireworks at midnight!
WIN WIN WIN
We are giving away two epic prizes as follows. *Std. T&C’s apply.
Prize 1 : 5 x General Access Tickets, 1 x Bottle of El Jimador & 1 x Fitch & Leedes Hamper
Prize 2 : 5 x General Access Tickets & 1 case if Sol Beer
To enter, follow BOTH of the below steps:-
- Click on the Facebook event link here, and mark yourself as ‘going’
- Comment on the event wall with #ProudlyDurbanite
You and your guests must be over the age of 21. Proof of ID will be required.
Please be advised that there is limited parking space. Be lekker – don’t drink and drive.
Tickets are limited so grab yours here
Proudly sponsored by
Fitch & Leedes
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
- To enter, follow the link to the Summerdaze NYE Beach Party Facebook event page. Click that you are attending and leave a comment on the event page wall with the hashtag #ProudlyDurbanite.
- Winner and guests must be over the age of 21 years old to attend this event – a copy of your South African identity document will be required as proof.
- Competition opens on 10th December 2019 and closes midnight 23rd December 2019, South African Standard Time. Winner/s will be randomly drawn on 24th December 2019. Durbanite (Pty) Ltd reserves the right to change the draw date.
- Winner/s will be notified via Facebook and are required to confirm their attendance within 24 hour of notification or redraw will take place.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd is a promoter of live entertainment events. Tickets for Events are sold by the event organisers or other ticketing agents. Notwithstanding the terms and conditions of such ticketing agents which may apply to the sale of a Ticket for a particular Event, by purchasing and/or holding and/or being in possession of a Ticket or Tickets, the holder of the Ticket agrees to and is bound by these terms and conditions.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd do not accept liability for damage to or loss of any life or personal property at this Event.
- Ticket does not afford the Ticket holder the right to transport to the Venue, or parking, or merchandise, or any food or beverages at the Venue, unless otherwise stated. Other independent service providers might render services relating to transport, parking, merchandise, food or beverages at the Venue and in such circumstances, the terms and conditions of such service providers will apply between it and persons who make use of such products or services.
- You must produce a valid Ticket to gain entry to the Venue and you must produce that Ticket for inspection upon request from an Event official at any time. Failure to produce such Ticket when requested may result in you being denied access to the Venue or in you being removed from the Venue.
- Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite (Pty) Ltd determination of the winner/s is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferable for cash.
- By entering this competition you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.
- Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite (Pty) Ltd and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
- Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.
Pieter Dirk Uys and Evita Bezuidenhout: #HeTwo
The Hexagon, Pietermaritzburg: 14 – 16 November
Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre, Durban: 18 – 24 November
“It’s a class act … the evergreen Uys always manages to inject something fresh and relevant into his work. A great show and a wonderful tribute to one gutsy lady created by one of South Africa’s true sons of the soil.” Peter Feldman ARTSLINK 2.8.2019
“That both PDU and Tannie Evita will have you giggling at #HeTwo while banishing the troubles of the outside world is a no brainer.” Diane de Beer DEBEER NECESSITIES 31.7.2019
“Uys dons false eyelashes and presidents listen.” L.A. TIMES
“You better watch out, you better not lie, you better not pout, I am telling you why- #HeTwo is coming to town!” Pieter-Dirk Uys and Evita “face off” on stage together for the first time ever in South African history, #HeTwo comes to The Hexagon Theatre from 14 – 16 November and then heads to the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 – 24 November.
WIN WIN WIN
Visit our Facebook page to enter to win 1 set of 5 double tickets!
Tickets valid for Tuesday 19th November @ the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre ONLY!
Show starts @ 19h30 sharp! Std. T&C’s apply.
In 1981 a woman appeared out of the dressing room of the Market Theatre, stepped onto the stage and smiled. Virtually before she even gave her name, she was a legend. Mrs Evita Bezuidenhout was presented to the audience, the nation and the world. She is still going stronger than ever. No longer a recognised Nationalist as she was during those years of apartheid rule, she is now a member of the African National Congress, secure in her Luthuli House kitchen where she cooks for reconciliation. For nearly forty years she has had to tolerate the impersonation of her by a local actor. She tried to sue him for libel; she swore never to allow him into her life and yet, now in the 25th year of her democracy, she will be on the stage with Pieter-Dirk Uys at the same time.
The question to PDU was always: why this female character of Evita? There are many answers. When he started impersonating her in 1978, it was illegal to have an opinion about anything political, so maybe an Afrikaans woman with an NP husband could spill the beans. The fact that she was portrayed by a man dressed as a woman when cross-dressing was also illegal, could force the edge of the envelope. Or maybe that she was there for only one reason: to eventually make Nelson Mandela laugh. And she did. They met and he laughed. She also embraced Archbishop Desmond Tutu who also laughed. She posed with countless legends and South Africans, black and white, laughed – with relief.
Evita Bezuidenhout will always be ten years older than Pieter-Dirk Uys. He seems to be catching up. His Darling venue, Evita se Perron, has been going for 23 years, established as a recognised international tourist destination and local satirical Stonehenge. Who would have thought that Tannie Evita would become a farce to be reckoned with, to be hailed and celebrated as the most famous white woman in South Africa? And now as a member of the ANC, sharing her weekly comments on YouTube and Daily Maverick about the state of her nation, where her Evita’s Free Speech, now past its 200th episode, has gathered supporters from all the corners of the globe? Her 140,000 Twitter followers are not just, as she thinks, in the same prison outside Rustenburg.
Now in 2019, for the first time, she and her ageing impersonator will confront each other face to face.
There can only be one winner.
#HeTwo will perform in Pietermaritzburg at the Hexagon from 14 to 16 November (Book at Webtickets) and in Durban at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 to 24 November (Book at Computicket).
Reviews2 months ago
Workationing In Style At The 12 Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town
News5 months ago
Introducing Salta Sibaya
Entertainment3 months ago
The Durban Gin & Tonic Experience
Entertainment4 months ago
La Dolce Vino – Old Town Italy Umhlanga
Events1 month ago
HIGH DAYS & HOLIDAYS AT THE OYSTER BOX
Reviews4 months ago
REVIEW: Town Lodge Umhlanga
Events2 months ago
Cake & Prosecco Class at Old Town Italy
Entertainment2 months ago
Diarise these upcoming Old Town Italy events