One man, a loop pedal and a touch of genius awaits Durban this April. Anyone who has seen Jeremy Loops perform live will tell you it’s an unforgettable experience – and soon this alt-folk sensation will be wowing the Durban Botanic Gardens during an Old Mutual Music at the Lake concert on Saturday, 11 April 2015.
Performing with a loop pedal and layering tunes to create a wondrous multi-layered soundscape, this one-man band from Cape Town has been setting the local festival circuit alight for the past couple of years.
His lively performances rely on crowd participation as well as skilled collaborators, such as vocalist/rapper Motheo Moleko and Jamie Faull on saxophone and drums. Inspired by legends such as Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan but bringing a distinctly modern twist to his folk sound, Loops’s ingenious sonic mash-ups will blow you away.
He recently released his debut album, Trading Change, has been enthusiastically received – and now Durban audiences can experience a true original in action during a sunset picnic concert at the idyllic botanical gardens.
“Autumn in Durban is a glorious time of year, perfect for families to enjoy the natural beauty of the gardens while taking in a music act who is as original as he is remarkable,” says Bandile Mngoma, sponsorship manager for Old Mutual. “This concert with the multi-talented Jeremy Loops is set to be a truly memorable one.”
Bring your cooler boxes, picnic baskets and blankets and prepare to wind down with this unusual act that will delight and inspire. Refreshments will also be on sale, and children can enjoy added entertainment in the supervised Kidzone.
Make a date with Jeremy Loops for Saturday, 11 April – you won’t regret it! Book online at www.webtickets.co.za and pay just R150 per ticket, or R170 if you buy your tickets at the gate on the day of the concert. Children aged eight to 12 pay R60; under-eights get in free.
Gates open at 16h30 for pre-sold tickets and at 17h00 for on-the-day ticket sales. The concert starts at 18h00.
For more information, follow @OM_Concerts on Twitter, like the Old Mutual Music in the Gardens page on Facebook or visit www.dogreatthings.co.za.
WIN WIN WIN!!!
We have x5 double tickets to give away to 5 lucky winners!
To enter, leave us a comment below, sharing with us what your favourite song is by Jeremy Loops.
Winners will be contacted Friday 10 April.
WIN: Sundowners at Chambers Club and the KZNPO Symphony Season Concert
As a stylish leap year treat, Urban Lime and the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra are offering an elegant Thursday evening out for one lucky couple: after-work sundowner cocktails and snacks at Chambers Club and two tickets to the final KZNPO Symphony Season concert in Durban City Hall, on Thursday 5 March at 7.30pm.
To enter – answer the below TWO questions in the comment section of our Facebook post:
- Who’s giant 600sqm. portrait hangs alongside the Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank building) in Anton Lembede St?
- Where are the KZNPO Summer Season Symphony concerts being performed?
Std. T&C’s apply
Chambers Club, South Africa’s newest members’ club, is housed in Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank head office). It is a members’ club for South Africa and Africa’s business and professional community located in the iconic Professional Quarter in the heart of the city, which is open to the public on evenings and weekends.
The beautiful building was designed by famed architect Norman Eaton in central Durban which has been transformed into a professional quarter for the legal fraternity, business community, entrepreneurs and creatives as part of an extensive city-wide project by the visionary team from Urban Lime.
One of the special features of the Chambers Club is a beautiful rooftop garden which overlooks the city – with commissioned sculptures, a water feature, quinine trees, indigenous grasses and aloes. This carefully created space is an eventual realisation of what Norman Eaton originally wished for – a tranquil roof top garden which is ideal for an after-work alfresco sundowner to meet colleagues and friends before heading home.
The Club offers facilities geared for legal practioners and businesspeople: meeting rooms, interview rooms, board rooms, restaurant, bar, lounge, parking facilities and cloakroom. It is perfect for professionals and those looking for an elegant, safe quiet place to meet, work and dine in the middle of town.
The KZN Philharmonic perform two Beethoven favourites, the Leonore Overture No 1 and the Triple Concerto, played by pianist, Malcolm Nay, violinist Tai Murray and KZNPO’s very own cellist Aristide du Plessis. The evening closes with a performance of Bizet’s delightful Symphony in C – all under the baton of Netherlands born conductor Arjan Tien who makes a popular return to round off the season on 5 March.
- KZNPO tickets are available through Computicket. Call 0861 915 8000 or book online at www.computicket.com. For more information visit http://kznphil.org.za/, email email@example.com or call 031-369 9438 (office hours).
- For more information about becoming a member of Chambers Club, visit ChambersClub.co.za / ph 031 015 5555 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Summerdaze NYE 2019
The countdown to 2020 has begun and if you, like many Durbanites are finding it difficult to set some epic NYE plans into motion, we thought we would give you a hand.
Get your feet in the sand at Summerdaze NYE Beach Party, which will be held at Beachwood (a 5 min drive from Umhlanga). This years dress theme is to be a “Floral” affair, the event will kick off 2pm onwards and will feature top artists and DJ’s at an intimate paradise ocean side setting. Food & drinks will be on sale under the tented beach bar while guests enjoy good vibes, sensational music and fireworks at midnight!
WIN WIN WIN
We are giving away two epic prizes as follows. *Std. T&C’s apply.
Prize 1 : 5 x General Access Tickets, 1 x Bottle of El Jimador & 1 x Fitch & Leedes Hamper
Prize 2 : 5 x General Access Tickets & 1 case if Sol Beer
To enter, follow BOTH of the below steps:-
- Click on the Facebook event link here, and mark yourself as ‘going’
- Comment on the event wall with #ProudlyDurbanite
You and your guests must be over the age of 21. Proof of ID will be required.
Please be advised that there is limited parking space. Be lekker – don’t drink and drive.
Tickets are limited so grab yours here
Proudly sponsored by
Fitch & Leedes
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
- To enter, follow the link to the Summerdaze NYE Beach Party Facebook event page. Click that you are attending and leave a comment on the event page wall with the hashtag #ProudlyDurbanite.
- Winner and guests must be over the age of 21 years old to attend this event – a copy of your South African identity document will be required as proof.
- Competition opens on 10th December 2019 and closes midnight 23rd December 2019, South African Standard Time. Winner/s will be randomly drawn on 24th December 2019. Durbanite (Pty) Ltd reserves the right to change the draw date.
- Winner/s will be notified via Facebook and are required to confirm their attendance within 24 hour of notification or redraw will take place.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd is a promoter of live entertainment events. Tickets for Events are sold by the event organisers or other ticketing agents. Notwithstanding the terms and conditions of such ticketing agents which may apply to the sale of a Ticket for a particular Event, by purchasing and/or holding and/or being in possession of a Ticket or Tickets, the holder of the Ticket agrees to and is bound by these terms and conditions.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd do not accept liability for damage to or loss of any life or personal property at this Event.
- Ticket does not afford the Ticket holder the right to transport to the Venue, or parking, or merchandise, or any food or beverages at the Venue, unless otherwise stated. Other independent service providers might render services relating to transport, parking, merchandise, food or beverages at the Venue and in such circumstances, the terms and conditions of such service providers will apply between it and persons who make use of such products or services.
- You must produce a valid Ticket to gain entry to the Venue and you must produce that Ticket for inspection upon request from an Event official at any time. Failure to produce such Ticket when requested may result in you being denied access to the Venue or in you being removed from the Venue.
- Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite (Pty) Ltd determination of the winner/s is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferable for cash.
- By entering this competition you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.
- Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite (Pty) Ltd and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
- Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.
Pieter Dirk Uys and Evita Bezuidenhout: #HeTwo
The Hexagon, Pietermaritzburg: 14 – 16 November
Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre, Durban: 18 – 24 November
“It’s a class act … the evergreen Uys always manages to inject something fresh and relevant into his work. A great show and a wonderful tribute to one gutsy lady created by one of South Africa’s true sons of the soil.” Peter Feldman ARTSLINK 2.8.2019
“That both PDU and Tannie Evita will have you giggling at #HeTwo while banishing the troubles of the outside world is a no brainer.” Diane de Beer DEBEER NECESSITIES 31.7.2019
“Uys dons false eyelashes and presidents listen.” L.A. TIMES
“You better watch out, you better not lie, you better not pout, I am telling you why- #HeTwo is coming to town!” Pieter-Dirk Uys and Evita “face off” on stage together for the first time ever in South African history, #HeTwo comes to The Hexagon Theatre from 14 – 16 November and then heads to the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 – 24 November.
WIN WIN WIN
Visit our Facebook page to enter to win 1 set of 5 double tickets!
Tickets valid for Tuesday 19th November @ the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre ONLY!
Show starts @ 19h30 sharp! Std. T&C’s apply.
In 1981 a woman appeared out of the dressing room of the Market Theatre, stepped onto the stage and smiled. Virtually before she even gave her name, she was a legend. Mrs Evita Bezuidenhout was presented to the audience, the nation and the world. She is still going stronger than ever. No longer a recognised Nationalist as she was during those years of apartheid rule, she is now a member of the African National Congress, secure in her Luthuli House kitchen where she cooks for reconciliation. For nearly forty years she has had to tolerate the impersonation of her by a local actor. She tried to sue him for libel; she swore never to allow him into her life and yet, now in the 25th year of her democracy, she will be on the stage with Pieter-Dirk Uys at the same time.
The question to PDU was always: why this female character of Evita? There are many answers. When he started impersonating her in 1978, it was illegal to have an opinion about anything political, so maybe an Afrikaans woman with an NP husband could spill the beans. The fact that she was portrayed by a man dressed as a woman when cross-dressing was also illegal, could force the edge of the envelope. Or maybe that she was there for only one reason: to eventually make Nelson Mandela laugh. And she did. They met and he laughed. She also embraced Archbishop Desmond Tutu who also laughed. She posed with countless legends and South Africans, black and white, laughed – with relief.
Evita Bezuidenhout will always be ten years older than Pieter-Dirk Uys. He seems to be catching up. His Darling venue, Evita se Perron, has been going for 23 years, established as a recognised international tourist destination and local satirical Stonehenge. Who would have thought that Tannie Evita would become a farce to be reckoned with, to be hailed and celebrated as the most famous white woman in South Africa? And now as a member of the ANC, sharing her weekly comments on YouTube and Daily Maverick about the state of her nation, where her Evita’s Free Speech, now past its 200th episode, has gathered supporters from all the corners of the globe? Her 140,000 Twitter followers are not just, as she thinks, in the same prison outside Rustenburg.
Now in 2019, for the first time, she and her ageing impersonator will confront each other face to face.
There can only be one winner.
#HeTwo will perform in Pietermaritzburg at the Hexagon from 14 to 16 November (Book at Webtickets) and in Durban at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 to 24 November (Book at Computicket).
Reviews2 months ago
Workationing In Style At The 12 Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town
News5 months ago
Introducing Salta Sibaya
Entertainment3 months ago
The Durban Gin & Tonic Experience
Entertainment4 months ago
La Dolce Vino – Old Town Italy Umhlanga
Events1 month ago
HIGH DAYS & HOLIDAYS AT THE OYSTER BOX
Reviews4 months ago
REVIEW: Town Lodge Umhlanga
Events2 months ago
Cake & Prosecco Class at Old Town Italy
Entertainment2 months ago
Diarise these upcoming Old Town Italy events