As a stylish leap year treat, Urban Lime and the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra are offering an elegant Thursday evening out for one lucky couple: after-work sundowner cocktails and snacks at Chambers Club and two tickets to the final KZNPO Symphony Season concert in Durban City Hall, on Thursday 5 March at 7.30pm.
To enter – answer the below TWO questions in the comment section of our Facebook post:
- Who’s giant 600sqm. portrait hangs alongside the Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank building) in Anton Lembede St?
- Where are the KZNPO Summer Season Symphony concerts being performed?
Std. T&C’s apply
Chambers Club, South Africa’s newest members’ club, is housed in Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank head office). It is a members’ club for South Africa and Africa’s business and professional community located in the iconic Professional Quarter in the heart of the city, which is open to the public on evenings and weekends.
The beautiful building was designed by famed architect Norman Eaton in central Durban which has been transformed into a professional quarter for the legal fraternity, business community, entrepreneurs and creatives as part of an extensive city-wide project by the visionary team from Urban Lime.
One of the special features of the Chambers Club is a beautiful rooftop garden which overlooks the city – with commissioned sculptures, a water feature, quinine trees, indigenous grasses and aloes. This carefully created space is an eventual realisation of what Norman Eaton originally wished for – a tranquil roof top garden which is ideal for an after-work alfresco sundowner to meet colleagues and friends before heading home.
The Club offers facilities geared for legal practioners and businesspeople: meeting rooms, interview rooms, board rooms, restaurant, bar, lounge, parking facilities and cloakroom. It is perfect for professionals and those looking for an elegant, safe quiet place to meet, work and dine in the middle of town.
The KZN Philharmonic perform two Beethoven favourites, the Leonore Overture No 1 and the Triple Concerto, played by pianist, Malcolm Nay, violinist Tai Murray and KZNPO’s very own cellist Aristide du Plessis. The evening closes with a performance of Bizet’s delightful Symphony in C – all under the baton of Netherlands born conductor Arjan Tien who makes a popular return to round off the season on 5 March.
- KZNPO tickets are available through Computicket. Call 0861 915 8000 or book online at www.computicket.com. For more information visit http://kznphil.org.za/, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 031-369 9438 (office hours).
- For more information about becoming a member of Chambers Club, visit ChambersClub.co.za / ph 031 015 5555 / email@example.com
Summerdaze NYE 2019
The countdown to 2020 has begun and if you, like many Durbanites are finding it difficult to set some epic NYE plans into motion, we thought we would give you a hand.
Get your feet in the sand at Summerdaze NYE Beach Party, which will be held at Beachwood (a 5 min drive from Umhlanga). This years dress theme is to be a “Floral” affair, the event will kick off 2pm onwards and will feature top artists and DJ’s at an intimate paradise ocean side setting. Food & drinks will be on sale under the tented beach bar while guests enjoy good vibes, sensational music and fireworks at midnight!
WIN WIN WIN
We are giving away two epic prizes as follows. *Std. T&C’s apply.
Prize 1 : 5 x General Access Tickets, 1 x Bottle of El Jimador & 1 x Fitch & Leedes Hamper
Prize 2 : 5 x General Access Tickets & 1 case if Sol Beer
To enter, follow BOTH of the below steps:-
- Click on the Facebook event link here, and mark yourself as ‘going’
- Comment on the event wall with #ProudlyDurbanite
You and your guests must be over the age of 21. Proof of ID will be required.
Please be advised that there is limited parking space. Be lekker – don’t drink and drive.
Tickets are limited so grab yours here
Proudly sponsored by
Fitch & Leedes
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
- To enter, follow the link to the Summerdaze NYE Beach Party Facebook event page. Click that you are attending and leave a comment on the event page wall with the hashtag #ProudlyDurbanite.
- Winner and guests must be over the age of 21 years old to attend this event – a copy of your South African identity document will be required as proof.
- Competition opens on 10th December 2019 and closes midnight 23rd December 2019, South African Standard Time. Winner/s will be randomly drawn on 24th December 2019. Durbanite (Pty) Ltd reserves the right to change the draw date.
- Winner/s will be notified via Facebook and are required to confirm their attendance within 24 hour of notification or redraw will take place.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd is a promoter of live entertainment events. Tickets for Events are sold by the event organisers or other ticketing agents. Notwithstanding the terms and conditions of such ticketing agents which may apply to the sale of a Ticket for a particular Event, by purchasing and/or holding and/or being in possession of a Ticket or Tickets, the holder of the Ticket agrees to and is bound by these terms and conditions.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd do not accept liability for damage to or loss of any life or personal property at this Event.
- Ticket does not afford the Ticket holder the right to transport to the Venue, or parking, or merchandise, or any food or beverages at the Venue, unless otherwise stated. Other independent service providers might render services relating to transport, parking, merchandise, food or beverages at the Venue and in such circumstances, the terms and conditions of such service providers will apply between it and persons who make use of such products or services.
- You must produce a valid Ticket to gain entry to the Venue and you must produce that Ticket for inspection upon request from an Event official at any time. Failure to produce such Ticket when requested may result in you being denied access to the Venue or in you being removed from the Venue.
- Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite (Pty) Ltd determination of the winner/s is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferable for cash.
- By entering this competition you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.
- Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite (Pty) Ltd and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
- Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.
Pieter Dirk Uys and Evita Bezuidenhout: #HeTwo
The Hexagon, Pietermaritzburg: 14 – 16 November
Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre, Durban: 18 – 24 November
“It’s a class act … the evergreen Uys always manages to inject something fresh and relevant into his work. A great show and a wonderful tribute to one gutsy lady created by one of South Africa’s true sons of the soil.” Peter Feldman ARTSLINK 2.8.2019
“That both PDU and Tannie Evita will have you giggling at #HeTwo while banishing the troubles of the outside world is a no brainer.” Diane de Beer DEBEER NECESSITIES 31.7.2019
“Uys dons false eyelashes and presidents listen.” L.A. TIMES
“You better watch out, you better not lie, you better not pout, I am telling you why- #HeTwo is coming to town!” Pieter-Dirk Uys and Evita “face off” on stage together for the first time ever in South African history, #HeTwo comes to The Hexagon Theatre from 14 – 16 November and then heads to the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 – 24 November.
WIN WIN WIN
Visit our Facebook page to enter to win 1 set of 5 double tickets!
Tickets valid for Tuesday 19th November @ the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre ONLY!
Show starts @ 19h30 sharp! Std. T&C’s apply.
In 1981 a woman appeared out of the dressing room of the Market Theatre, stepped onto the stage and smiled. Virtually before she even gave her name, she was a legend. Mrs Evita Bezuidenhout was presented to the audience, the nation and the world. She is still going stronger than ever. No longer a recognised Nationalist as she was during those years of apartheid rule, she is now a member of the African National Congress, secure in her Luthuli House kitchen where she cooks for reconciliation. For nearly forty years she has had to tolerate the impersonation of her by a local actor. She tried to sue him for libel; she swore never to allow him into her life and yet, now in the 25th year of her democracy, she will be on the stage with Pieter-Dirk Uys at the same time.
The question to PDU was always: why this female character of Evita? There are many answers. When he started impersonating her in 1978, it was illegal to have an opinion about anything political, so maybe an Afrikaans woman with an NP husband could spill the beans. The fact that she was portrayed by a man dressed as a woman when cross-dressing was also illegal, could force the edge of the envelope. Or maybe that she was there for only one reason: to eventually make Nelson Mandela laugh. And she did. They met and he laughed. She also embraced Archbishop Desmond Tutu who also laughed. She posed with countless legends and South Africans, black and white, laughed – with relief.
Evita Bezuidenhout will always be ten years older than Pieter-Dirk Uys. He seems to be catching up. His Darling venue, Evita se Perron, has been going for 23 years, established as a recognised international tourist destination and local satirical Stonehenge. Who would have thought that Tannie Evita would become a farce to be reckoned with, to be hailed and celebrated as the most famous white woman in South Africa? And now as a member of the ANC, sharing her weekly comments on YouTube and Daily Maverick about the state of her nation, where her Evita’s Free Speech, now past its 200th episode, has gathered supporters from all the corners of the globe? Her 140,000 Twitter followers are not just, as she thinks, in the same prison outside Rustenburg.
Now in 2019, for the first time, she and her ageing impersonator will confront each other face to face.
There can only be one winner.
#HeTwo will perform in Pietermaritzburg at the Hexagon from 14 to 16 November (Book at Webtickets) and in Durban at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 to 24 November (Book at Computicket).
Get to know Jeremy Loops!
Durban, are you ready?
Your favourite Jeremy Loops is back… and he’s getting set to turn up the beat at the Durban Botanic Gardens on Sunday the 29th of September, in the third instalment of the 2019 Old Mutual Music at the Lake Series, with East Coast Radio.
1) We’re so happy to have you play in Durban again! What’s one thing you love about Durbs?
Durban shows are always great. Some of my favourites. I just love the energy of the city. People seem genuinely laid back, and not that faux laid back one often sees in other major coastal cities. around the world. It’s a nice change of pac
2) How did your love of music start?
My parents played music in our house all the time. I don’t even recall a time music wasn’t in my life. Making music was never a priority or something I thought I could do, but I loved singing over the classics like Joplin, Dylan, The Beatles, Bob Marley, or whatever else was being played. I would say that’s how the love started.
3) What would you say is your favourite song from all of your albums?
Wow. Tough question. I don’t think I have a favourite song in the traditional sense. I think the song I’m proudest of at a technical level is Underwater Blues. It’s understated, but there’s a serious musical sophistication happening there that I and other musicians really gravitate towards. And sonically, I think it’s beautiful. And then, I guess on the opposite end I could tell you which songs have elevated or moved my career the most, and those are Down South, Higher Stakes, Waves, and Gold.
4) What’s a secret many people don’t know about you?
I’m licensed to captain a 200-tonne sailboat, which, when you think about it, is pretty nuts.
5) Favourite Durban hangout?
Our touring schedule is so hectic, we don’t really get to hang out any more, so I couldn’t tell you what the hotspots are. Does ‘wherever the best waves are’ count as an answer?
6) Has there ever been a weird/crazy fan moment for you?
No. I think you grow desensitised to the odd fringe things. I’ve had tears, I’ve had hysteria, I’ve had grope-y people. After a while, you just start to see the super fringe things as less and less weird/crazy.
7) Any exciting line-ups in the pipeline?
We’ve actually just returned from European summer season, and played some big bills alongside Billie Eilish, Twenty One Pilots, Anne-Marie, JUICEWRLD, and that sort of caliber of artist. Moving forward, I’m just focused on my headline European Tour, which culminates with a performance at The O2 Brixton Academy in London, a 5000-capacity arena. That’s pretty cool.
8) When you’re not making music, what do you like to do?
Surf, read, work out, draw, and travel.
9) Do you have any advice for aspiring musicians?
You have only yourself to rely on. Build locally first with those who are easy to reach, and build outwards from there. In the beginning there are almost no eyes on you, so release a lot – one single at a time – and be unafraid to fail. When things start connecting, only then should you start thinking about EPs, albums, organised tours, and the like.
But again, you have only yourself to rely on. Internalise that and you can achieve far more than you think.
10) When are you next in Durban?
We have a show at The Botanical Gardens on 29 September. After that, there are no plans in the pipeline to return to Durban for a long while.
Travel7 months ago
Travel Blogged: Vlog 01 – Mtentu
Events7 months ago
HIGH DAYS & HOLIDAYS AT THE OYSTER BOX
Entertainment7 months ago
Diarise these upcoming Old Town Italy events
Reviews8 months ago
Workationing In Style At The 12 Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town
Entertainment5 months ago
TAPAS OYSTER BOX STYLE
Events8 months ago
Cake & Prosecco Class at Old Town Italy
Entertainment9 months ago
The Durban Gin & Tonic Experience
Entertainment9 months ago
La Dolce Vino – Old Town Italy Umhlanga