Only 3 hours away from Johannesburg and Durban, nestled between the colossal Drakensberg Amphitheatre mountains, looking onto The Tugela Falls, is a New Year’s event unlike any other. The Smoking Dragon Festival is back for it’s 6th year and has expanded to 4 stages including The Main Stage, Cherch Electric Jungle, Fringe Stage and the sparkling new Ripple Zone. Complete with a dam, look-out deck and bar. The perfect location to jam in the water while watching some incredible acts!
We are giving away 2x double tickets to this incredible event! 1 winner will be chosen via Facebook and the other via Twitter. *Std. T&C’s apply.
To enter via Facebook follow ALL of these steps:
1. Comment on our Smoking Dragon posts up on our Facebook Page
2. Tag 2 friends you cannot, NOT celebrate the New Year with!
3. Share the post with your Facebook friends (be sure to set this as PUBLIC for us to view)
4. Use the hashtags #SmokingDragonSA and #ProudlyDurbanite
To enter via Twitter follow ALL of these steps:
1. ReTweet our Smoking Dragon Tweet (search @durbanite_za)
2. Tag 2 friends you cannot, NOT celebrate the New Year with!
3. Use the hashtags #SmokingDragonSA and #ProudlyDurbanite
Upping the game this year they have packed over 40 acts into this 3-day festival from 29 Dec – 1 Jan 2016. With the best in local talent from all over South Africa already announced including Grassy Spark, The Rudimentals, The Kiffness, Tidal Waves and so many more, Smoking Dragon is making this a New Year to remember with the addition of the supremely talented Stelth Ulvang of The Lumineers and Tudo Mundo.
Stelth is a creator; he’s a talented multi-instrumentalist, spirited poet and composer of vulnerable, honest, and rich music. Able to balance heavy truths with the lightness of humor and observation, his songs share the wayfaring nature of his heart. His unique ability to transform living rooms, basements, backyards, kitchens, and even large venues into an intimate moment of storytelling, makes his carnival style performance and confessional lyrics appealing to the human experience. “Ulvang leaps barefoot around the stage like a manic musical imp, shaking maracas, booting his piano stool off the podium and tinkling the ivories with his toes.” Daily Mail, London.
Todo Mundo (“All the World”), who was voted “Best World Music” band at the 2011, 2014 & 2015 San Diego Music Awards, blends the musical flavors of Spanish Rumba, Reggae, Brazilian, Balkan and Middle Eastern styles into an irresistible groove that has been moving dance floors and connecting with audiences across the world since 2009.
Through music, Todo Mundo has learned to share their soul and experiences with the world. The power of music allows them to transmit their messages of unity, equality, and diversity. Their music and performances possess explosive energy that celebrates life, with the aim of connecting with people from all over the world, and encouraging them to live in the present, as one. They have toured the world with acts like The Roots and The Wailers and will be performing live on South Africa soil this December.
Complimenting these international must-see acts, is a music-lovers line-up which will offer something for everyone’s taste. Including Qadasi, which means ‘white person’ in isiZulu, an accomplished Maskandi musician who developed a deep passion for Zulu culture and has toured internationally with Johnny Clegg. Wandile Mbambeni Music ZA is typically recognized for his smooth afro-soul sound which carries a special kind of magic as he tells stories with his music intertwining it with rap, beat-boxing and electronic collaborations.
Native Young, with band members hailing from South Africa to Spain, bring a fresh twist to the traditional indie genre utilizing unusual instruments in their performance, including marimba, banjo, and djembe drums. Hezron Chetty’s music experience has been described by Mahala as “Psychedelic, eclectic sounds surround the senses and momentarily the crowd forgets where they are and sit patiently in Hezron’s palm begging for another song.” With some big announcements coming your way this week you have to get your tickets to this unbelievable New Year’s festival.
Joining these incredible artists on stage will be Native Young, Crimson House Blues, Sol Gems, Michael Lesar, Vukuzithate, Retro Dizzy, Goldilox, Yolanda Fyrus, Matthew F, TheCity, The Kickstands, The Shabeen, Mudblud, Red Tape Riot, Josh Roxton and Herkie, Ben Day and the Concrete Lions, Josh Wantie, and the Kings Down South.
The Ripple Zone also includes The Pink Tent, a fun and friendly area where all must feel welcome. This is a space where the LGBTIAQ community is able to be visible and be acknowledged as a vital part of the community. It is powered by the Proud Initiative and designed to welcome everyone whatever your age, race or sexual preference, the perfect space to be yourself and a percentage of bar proceeds go to charity!
Smoking Dragon Festival: Ripple Zone
Full weekend tickets are only R695.
Recap of the Announced Lineup:
29th Dec, Divas Stage
Saarkie, Push Push, Ann Jangle, Nonku Phiri, Bye Beneco, Dope St Jude, Nicky B
30th Dec, Best Of Stage
Diamond Thug, Tidal Waves, Boxer, The Dandies, Boo, BCUC, The Kiffness Verandah Panda.
31st Dec, Main Stage
Grassy Spark, The Rudimentals, Sublime Tribute Show, 7th Son, Trenton & The Free Radicals, Stone Jets, DJ inviZAble ft. Komputa General, Silva Black.
Stelth Ulvang, Todo Mundo, Qadasi, Wandile Mbambeni, Native Young, Hezron Chetty, Crimson House Blues, Sol Gems, Michael Lesar, Vukuzithate, Retro Dizzy, Goldilox, Yolanda Fyrus, Matthew F, TheCity, The Kickstands, The Shabeen, Mudblud, Red Tape Riot, Josh Roxton and Herkie, Ben Day and the Concrete Lions, Josh Wantie, and the Kings Down South.
Basic festival ticket which will grant the buyer access to the event grounds, basic ablution facilities (hot showers are an additional R25), main food court and bar.
Full Weekend Pass: R695
Day Pass – 29 Dec: R250
Evening Pass – 29/30 Dec: R550
Day Pass – 30 Dec: R350
Evening Pass – 30/31 Dec: R700
Day Pass – 31 Dec: R400
VIP Campsite Full Weekend: R695
Ticket will include access to the Jacuzzi, Sauna, Swimming Pool, DStv and chill lounges, Private Cocktail bar, Self-Catering kitchens, and free hot showers.
Kids Zone Full Weekend: R200*
*Kids Zone full weekend and day passes allow children under the age of 12* access to fun, child focussed activities in a safe and secure area.
**Kids Zone evening passes allow children under the age of 12* access to 1x guardian per two children overnight, who will make sure the child(ren) are safe and fed.
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
1. Enter via Facebook or Twitter following ALL the steps to stand a chance of winning one of two double general access tickets to The Smoking Dragon Festival 2016.
2. Tickets are General Access to the event ONLY. It does not include food, transport, or accommodation. It is upon the winner/s to make their own arrangements in this regard.
3. Competition opens on 15 November 2016 and closes at midday on 16 December 2016, South African Standard Time.
4. Winner/s will be randomly drawn on 16 December. Durbanite reserves the right to change the draw date.
5. Winner/s and their partners will need to be over the age of 18 and proof of ID will be required for both.
6. Winner/s will be notified via email / Facebook / Twitter and are required to confirm their attendance within 24 hours of notification or a redraw will take place.
7. Winner/s voluntarily assume all risks and dangers incidental to an Event, whether occurring before, during or after the Event, and you waive any claims for loss, damage, personal injury or death against Durbanite, the management of Durbanite, affiliated entities, agents, officers, directors, owners and employees on behalf of yourself and any person accompanying you or for whom you won a Ticket.
8. Durbanite do not accept responsibility for damage to or loss of any personal property at this Event.
9. Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite’s determination of the winners is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
10. The prizes are non-transferable for cash. If you are the winner, a copy of your South African identity document or passport may be required as proof that you are in fact the winner whose name was drawn.
11. By entering this competition you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.
12. Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
13. Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.
WIN: Sundowners at Chambers Club and the KZNPO Symphony Season Concert
As a stylish leap year treat, Urban Lime and the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra are offering an elegant Thursday evening out for one lucky couple: after-work sundowner cocktails and snacks at Chambers Club and two tickets to the final KZNPO Symphony Season concert in Durban City Hall, on Thursday 5 March at 7.30pm.
To enter – answer the below TWO questions in the comment section of our Facebook post:
- Who’s giant 600sqm. portrait hangs alongside the Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank building) in Anton Lembede St?
- Where are the KZNPO Summer Season Symphony concerts being performed?
Std. T&C’s apply
Chambers Club, South Africa’s newest members’ club, is housed in Durban Club Chambers building (the former Netherlands Bank head office). It is a members’ club for South Africa and Africa’s business and professional community located in the iconic Professional Quarter in the heart of the city, which is open to the public on evenings and weekends.
The beautiful building was designed by famed architect Norman Eaton in central Durban which has been transformed into a professional quarter for the legal fraternity, business community, entrepreneurs and creatives as part of an extensive city-wide project by the visionary team from Urban Lime.
One of the special features of the Chambers Club is a beautiful rooftop garden which overlooks the city – with commissioned sculptures, a water feature, quinine trees, indigenous grasses and aloes. This carefully created space is an eventual realisation of what Norman Eaton originally wished for – a tranquil roof top garden which is ideal for an after-work alfresco sundowner to meet colleagues and friends before heading home.
The Club offers facilities geared for legal practioners and businesspeople: meeting rooms, interview rooms, board rooms, restaurant, bar, lounge, parking facilities and cloakroom. It is perfect for professionals and those looking for an elegant, safe quiet place to meet, work and dine in the middle of town.
The KZN Philharmonic perform two Beethoven favourites, the Leonore Overture No 1 and the Triple Concerto, played by pianist, Malcolm Nay, violinist Tai Murray and KZNPO’s very own cellist Aristide du Plessis. The evening closes with a performance of Bizet’s delightful Symphony in C – all under the baton of Netherlands born conductor Arjan Tien who makes a popular return to round off the season on 5 March.
- KZNPO tickets are available through Computicket. Call 0861 915 8000 or book online at www.computicket.com. For more information visit http://kznphil.org.za/, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 031-369 9438 (office hours).
- For more information about becoming a member of Chambers Club, visit ChambersClub.co.za / ph 031 015 5555 / email@example.com
Summerdaze NYE 2019
The countdown to 2020 has begun and if you, like many Durbanites are finding it difficult to set some epic NYE plans into motion, we thought we would give you a hand.
Get your feet in the sand at Summerdaze NYE Beach Party, which will be held at Beachwood (a 5 min drive from Umhlanga). This years dress theme is to be a “Floral” affair, the event will kick off 2pm onwards and will feature top artists and DJ’s at an intimate paradise ocean side setting. Food & drinks will be on sale under the tented beach bar while guests enjoy good vibes, sensational music and fireworks at midnight!
WIN WIN WIN
We are giving away two epic prizes as follows. *Std. T&C’s apply.
Prize 1 : 5 x General Access Tickets, 1 x Bottle of El Jimador & 1 x Fitch & Leedes Hamper
Prize 2 : 5 x General Access Tickets & 1 case if Sol Beer
To enter, follow BOTH of the below steps:-
- Click on the Facebook event link here, and mark yourself as ‘going’
- Comment on the event wall with #ProudlyDurbanite
You and your guests must be over the age of 21. Proof of ID will be required.
Please be advised that there is limited parking space. Be lekker – don’t drink and drive.
Tickets are limited so grab yours here
Proudly sponsored by
Fitch & Leedes
*Competition Terms and Conditions.
- To enter, follow the link to the Summerdaze NYE Beach Party Facebook event page. Click that you are attending and leave a comment on the event page wall with the hashtag #ProudlyDurbanite.
- Winner and guests must be over the age of 21 years old to attend this event – a copy of your South African identity document will be required as proof.
- Competition opens on 10th December 2019 and closes midnight 23rd December 2019, South African Standard Time. Winner/s will be randomly drawn on 24th December 2019. Durbanite (Pty) Ltd reserves the right to change the draw date.
- Winner/s will be notified via Facebook and are required to confirm their attendance within 24 hour of notification or redraw will take place.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd is a promoter of live entertainment events. Tickets for Events are sold by the event organisers or other ticketing agents. Notwithstanding the terms and conditions of such ticketing agents which may apply to the sale of a Ticket for a particular Event, by purchasing and/or holding and/or being in possession of a Ticket or Tickets, the holder of the Ticket agrees to and is bound by these terms and conditions.
- Durbanite (Pty) Ltd do not accept liability for damage to or loss of any life or personal property at this Event.
- Ticket does not afford the Ticket holder the right to transport to the Venue, or parking, or merchandise, or any food or beverages at the Venue, unless otherwise stated. Other independent service providers might render services relating to transport, parking, merchandise, food or beverages at the Venue and in such circumstances, the terms and conditions of such service providers will apply between it and persons who make use of such products or services.
- You must produce a valid Ticket to gain entry to the Venue and you must produce that Ticket for inspection upon request from an Event official at any time. Failure to produce such Ticket when requested may result in you being denied access to the Venue or in you being removed from the Venue.
- Subject to these competition rules, Durbanite (Pty) Ltd determination of the winner/s is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- The prizes are non-transferable for cash.
- By entering this competition you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.
- Employees, agents of or consultants to Durbanite (Pty) Ltd and, their immediate family members (parents, children, brothers and sisters), spouse(s), life partners, business partners and associates are excluded from this competition.
- Failure to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions will result in immediate forfeiture of the prize.
Pieter Dirk Uys and Evita Bezuidenhout: #HeTwo
The Hexagon, Pietermaritzburg: 14 – 16 November
Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre, Durban: 18 – 24 November
“It’s a class act … the evergreen Uys always manages to inject something fresh and relevant into his work. A great show and a wonderful tribute to one gutsy lady created by one of South Africa’s true sons of the soil.” Peter Feldman ARTSLINK 2.8.2019
“That both PDU and Tannie Evita will have you giggling at #HeTwo while banishing the troubles of the outside world is a no brainer.” Diane de Beer DEBEER NECESSITIES 31.7.2019
“Uys dons false eyelashes and presidents listen.” L.A. TIMES
“You better watch out, you better not lie, you better not pout, I am telling you why- #HeTwo is coming to town!” Pieter-Dirk Uys and Evita “face off” on stage together for the first time ever in South African history, #HeTwo comes to The Hexagon Theatre from 14 – 16 November and then heads to the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 – 24 November.
WIN WIN WIN
Visit our Facebook page to enter to win 1 set of 5 double tickets!
Tickets valid for Tuesday 19th November @ the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre ONLY!
Show starts @ 19h30 sharp! Std. T&C’s apply.
In 1981 a woman appeared out of the dressing room of the Market Theatre, stepped onto the stage and smiled. Virtually before she even gave her name, she was a legend. Mrs Evita Bezuidenhout was presented to the audience, the nation and the world. She is still going stronger than ever. No longer a recognised Nationalist as she was during those years of apartheid rule, she is now a member of the African National Congress, secure in her Luthuli House kitchen where she cooks for reconciliation. For nearly forty years she has had to tolerate the impersonation of her by a local actor. She tried to sue him for libel; she swore never to allow him into her life and yet, now in the 25th year of her democracy, she will be on the stage with Pieter-Dirk Uys at the same time.
The question to PDU was always: why this female character of Evita? There are many answers. When he started impersonating her in 1978, it was illegal to have an opinion about anything political, so maybe an Afrikaans woman with an NP husband could spill the beans. The fact that she was portrayed by a man dressed as a woman when cross-dressing was also illegal, could force the edge of the envelope. Or maybe that she was there for only one reason: to eventually make Nelson Mandela laugh. And she did. They met and he laughed. She also embraced Archbishop Desmond Tutu who also laughed. She posed with countless legends and South Africans, black and white, laughed – with relief.
Evita Bezuidenhout will always be ten years older than Pieter-Dirk Uys. He seems to be catching up. His Darling venue, Evita se Perron, has been going for 23 years, established as a recognised international tourist destination and local satirical Stonehenge. Who would have thought that Tannie Evita would become a farce to be reckoned with, to be hailed and celebrated as the most famous white woman in South Africa? And now as a member of the ANC, sharing her weekly comments on YouTube and Daily Maverick about the state of her nation, where her Evita’s Free Speech, now past its 200th episode, has gathered supporters from all the corners of the globe? Her 140,000 Twitter followers are not just, as she thinks, in the same prison outside Rustenburg.
Now in 2019, for the first time, she and her ageing impersonator will confront each other face to face.
There can only be one winner.
#HeTwo will perform in Pietermaritzburg at the Hexagon from 14 to 16 November (Book at Webtickets) and in Durban at the Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre from 18 to 24 November (Book at Computicket).
Reviews2 months ago
Workationing In Style At The 12 Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town
News5 months ago
Introducing Salta Sibaya
Entertainment3 months ago
The Durban Gin & Tonic Experience
Entertainment4 months ago
La Dolce Vino – Old Town Italy Umhlanga
Events1 month ago
HIGH DAYS & HOLIDAYS AT THE OYSTER BOX
Reviews4 months ago
REVIEW: Town Lodge Umhlanga
Events2 months ago
Cake & Prosecco Class at Old Town Italy
Entertainment2 months ago
Diarise these upcoming Old Town Italy events